Andropause refers to the changes and health challenges a man faces as he ages because his hormone levels drop. For example, starting in his 20s, a man’s testosterone levels usually drop at least 1% each year:
- andropause is kind of like menopause, only andropause is something that happens to men.
- it happens to men as they age, when their testosterone levels begin dropping.
- it happens at different times. For some, age 38. For others, 55. And everywhere in between.
- symptoms of andropause vary greatly. Some report having lower energy. Others feel their heart rate fluctuate.
- historically, men have been less inclined to share personal details about their journey into midlife. Hopefully, this is changing.
- the medical community is still trying to understand andropause and there are differences of opinion about it.
- testosterone, and your own body’s ability to naturally produce it, is more precious to you than gold (and I’m not kidding).
How to Age Manfully
The way to age manfully is to face it square-on. No head burying in the sand; no thinking about it tomorrow. Man up, and think about it now: How do you want to age? How do you want to feel when you wake up in the morning 20 years from now? What’s your plan for aging?
Testosterone is like cell phone reception. You need enough to function optimally.”
If you’re a guy who is interested in successful, healthy aging, your first step – as always – is to consult your health care professional, and to allow yourself to be curious and proactive in strength and energy as you age.
If you really want to improve your health, stop thinking of testosterone as just a sex hormone. It’s much, much more than that.
Imagine your body is like an iPhone. Living foods and exercise are like the iPhone’s battery. Testosterone is the reception! You wouldn’t want to build your house directly under a huge cell phone tower because that would be too much reception. However, if you don’t have enough reception, your iPhone won’t work well, or at all. Testosterone is like cell phone reception. You need enough to function optimally. But not so much that it fries you.
When we speak about aging we say things like, “after 40” or “after 50,” however when you look at the actual statistics (the Centers for Disease Control offer some fascinating data in downloadable spreadsheets, see Sources below) you discover that at age 45 is when statistically there is a significant jump in health challenges (particularly tumor diagnoses).
Many men wait until the first big problem presents itself before scrambling to put together a healthier aging plan. But why not prevent disease outcomes (before they have a chance to manifest)?
The best part of being an adult is the increased potential for self-awareness and serenity as you become older and wiser.
Successful aging is realized within your own ability and willingness to create abundant joy, meaning and prosperity in your everyday life.
Podcast #1: Andropause and Men’s Health
If you are male and over the age of 38, then you need to know andropause is. Otherwise, when andropause happens to you, you won’t know what’s going on.
I’ve included a podcast (see below) with some fascinating information about what andropause is and why it matters to you.
You can HEAR THE PODCAST now – click on the play arrow below:
The Hormone Testosterone – http://men.webmd.com/testosterone-15738
Data on Typical Health Challenges by Age Group – http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/